- Reading the literature to see what has been done before
- Building or creating something (may be software, may be tangible, may be a survey)
- Running some type of experiments
- Performing analysis of the data
- Get some constructive/destructive feedback from your peers
- Drawing conclusions and writing them up
- Read the literature
- Draw conclusions and write them up
While alien to me, I am sure it works for his discipline and was an interesting perspective. Deep thinking required indeed.
The all important question on your mind which I shall answer now is that the King family managed a 1st, a 2nd and 2 x 3rd's. A poor showing in the egg and spoon was made up by a win in the sack race, a 2nd and 3rd in the obstacle race and a 3rd in the sprint.
They don't hold parents races any more for insurance reasons (how bloody sad), but give that I am unlikely to do well on any race under 2 1/2 hours in length I am not that worried.