Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cognitive bias : Reactance bias

I find the various Westminister candidates for Ceredigion are writing to me on an almost daily basis with a flurry of envelopes drop through the letter box each morning.

One of my reactions is to vote for the candidates who tries to influence me the least(or not vote at all) and this is an example of Reactance Bias where I am bias to do the opposite of what an attempt is being made to influence me to do.
Reactance is an emotional reaction in direct contradiction to rules or regulations that threaten or eliminate specific behavioral freedoms. It can occur when someone is heavily pressured to accept a certain view or attitude. Reactance can cause the person to adopt or strengthen a view or attitude that is contrary to what was intended and also increases resistance to persuasion.
I think I will vote for John Francis, they have the most and best coloured boards I have seen on my travels in Ceredigion and don't just put them up at election time.

No comments:

Post a Comment