Monday, January 27, 2014

Standing on the edge of the Hoover Dam



Standing on the edge
Of the Hoover Dam
I'm on the centerline
Right between two states of mind
And if the wind from the traffic
Should blow me away
The masses who have taken a break from their seat in front of slot machines on the Strip for a few hours. 45 minutes of iPod nano  turned them into ghosts who were present but floated past and were easily ignored.





From this altitude
It will come back to you
And do you know the time
All that's left of me is slight insanity
What's on the right I don't know

I first heard mention of this album in maybe 2000 while driving home from Camberly with a interview on the radio with Idlewild who cited it as one of their favorites and that Bob Mold had set out to write an album taking the style of the 10 most popular indie bands of the time, a song each. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else.

If the Mississippi should wash me away
Down to New Orleans
Maybe someday in my dreams
I'd wake feeling the sweat
From the gulf in my mouth
The helicopter trip was too good to pass up on.


On a carousel I can never tell
My direction home
Spinning down a hole
I'm losing all control
I'm down to the center of the earth

I had been to the Grand Canyon which is up river on the Colorado river last year, so had some 
idea of the scale. I did expect it to feel more remote, but there were a plethora of roads and you could even drive over it which I did not expect.


Covered up with lava and I feel fine
It washes over me
Keeps me feeling warm at night
And if you've made a deal with
The guy with the horns and the cape
I'll see you later later
An ambition for the last 10 years or so has been to stand on the Hoover Dam and listen from start to finish the whole of Copper Blue by Suger. The experience was everything I wanted it to be right from the 1st unmistakeable guitar riffs, but I am still no wiser as to what the lyrics are meant to be about.

Standing on the edge
Of the Hoover Dam
Standing on the edge
Of the Hoover Dam I am

No comments:

Post a Comment