Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A different perspective on how to do Research

My view of the world of research method goes along the line of the integration of at least 3 of

  • Reading the literature to see what has been done before
  • Building or creating something (may be software, may be tangible, may be a survey)
  • Running some type of experiments
  • Performing analysis of the data
  • Get some constructive/destructive feedback from your peers
  • Drawing conclusions and writing them up
At my children's sports day yesterday, I was talking to a lecturer from Law (at Aberystwyth University). Lots of free time while the children who are not in your children's age group have their races to have a chat. His approach to research went along the lines of

  • Read the literature
  • Draw conclusions and write them up
In summary, he spent a huge amount of time reading and then a lot of thinking trying to pick out patterns and then writing it up as a paper or book.

While alien to me, I am sure it works for his discipline and was an interesting perspective. Deep thinking required indeed.

The all important question on your mind which I shall answer now is that the King family managed a 1st, a 2nd and 2 x 3rd's. A poor showing in the egg and spoon was made up by a win in the sack race, a 2nd and 3rd in the obstacle race and a 3rd in the sprint.

They don't hold parents races any more for insurance reasons (how bloody sad), but give that I am unlikely to do well on any race under 2 1/2 hours in length I am not that worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment